Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Truvia and the big business of highly processed foods

Wow, whenever I get on one of these tangents of researching health, food, or such subjects, I can spend hours finding and reading lots of scary info.
Truvia is a processed derivative of the natural sweetener Stevia. Why process a natural sweetener like Stevia? To obtain a patent and make money. Red flag enough to be concerned but I find references to Cargill, the maker of Truvia, using GMO-modified corn for one of the ingredients in Truvia. Here is an eye-opening article about Cargill.
Here are some articles looking at the problems with high fructose corn syrup.
Here is an article explaining more about GMO (genetically modified organisms) food.
I'm not saying that I base my life on what I read on the Internet but when that information points to a simpler life, more in harmony with God's creation then I will tend to agree.
May I suggest, read, educate yourself, look for locally grown, minimally processed foods.

2 comments:

erin said...

I agree. Why process an herb that is already naturally sweet and good-tasting? There are many stevia brands out there and most are not "all-natural" like they say they are. Most use chemicals, solvents, and alcohols during extraction, which chnges the taste of the stevia and you get that bad aftertaste. Now some are using masking agents to cover that bad taste. I use SweetLeaf Sweetener Stevia. It is the only brand where only pure water is used during the whole extraction process, so the naturally sweet, good taste of the leaf remains, which also means they do not need to add anything to it either. SweetLeaf is really the only truly 100% natural stevia brand on the market.

Natural stevia is pretty perfect as it is, I don't understand why so many change that to an inferior product!

Stephen said...

Thanks for the comment, Erin, and I followed your profile to find the Stevia Wizard blog. Looks like good info there.